Sunday, January 25, 2009

Rails on Ubuntu Intrepid Ibex


Got Rails working with a local copy of ruby, gems, and rails, so I can have independent accounts with different versions.  I haven't gone back to a clean ubuntu install to verify, and I'm not sure that all these are needed, but I think these are the required packages:
  • zlib1g-dev
  • libzlib-ruby
  • libssl0.9.8
  • libssl-dev
  • libopenssl-ruby
After building ruby, from the top directory in the source:
  • cd ext/openssl
  • ruby extconf.rb
  • make
  • make install
Without that last set of steps, I was getting a "no such file to load -- openssl" error when trying to start rails.

After that, install rubygems (download and extract the source, then "ruby setup.rb") and install the rails gem.

References (with thanks to the contributors):

No comments:

Post a Comment